I make this occasionally for breakfast. It tastes so good to me! It takes a little longer to prep than my regular spicy egg whites and so I usually prep it the night before and then in the morning all I have to do is stick it in the oven to cook while I am getting ready for the day.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 10-12 ounces diced and peeled sweet potatoes or yams (I like to buy the pre-packaged diced ones because it is faster/easier. Just make sure the only ingredient is sweet potato or yam.
- 12 egg whites
- About 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (maybe a little more just sort of eyeball it)
- 8 stalks of asparagus, chopped
- A handful of portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, squished (ok, you might be thinking what the heck does squished mean? I just sort of do a quick pinch of the cherry tomato and squeeze the juice into the mixture, then put the rest of the tomato in with the rest of the mixture).
- Sprinkled with paprika and black pepper
1. Line an 8×8 pan with aluminum foil and put all ingredients except pepper and paprika in the pan/foil.
2. Sprinkle paprika and black pepper on top.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 55 minutes or until eggs don’t look runny anymore (when I make this as just one serving I usually only need cook it 40-ish minutes).
4. Serve. 🙂
Because it takes a little longer to cook I prefer to prep it the night before in a Tupperware container then stick it in the oven right when I wake up so I can eat it within one hour of waking up. I love how this dish has a hint of sweetness from the vanilla almond milk and sweet potatoes and the almond milk makes the egg whites nice and fluffy. You can use whatever veggies you like, these are just the ones I typically have in my fridge.
Nutritional Information (using 5oz of sweet potato):
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 2g
- Carbs: 35g
- Protein: 31g
- Sugar: 4g
Each serving has 6 egg whites, 5-6 ounces of sweet potato, about 1/4 cup of almond milk, and veggies. I like to eat mine with low-sugar ketchup and a little tabasco on top.
Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon. Many thanks|