Members Only Recipe!!
This may be the BEST recipe I have ever crafted. Seriously, it took all my will power not to immediately go back for seconds…..and thirds. I tried something new while filming this video and it failed miserably, will you guys forgive me? I tried filming this with my iPhone instead of my nice camera and the quality came out pretty bad. I learned my lesson and will make sure to use my good camera for all future videos, so I apologize that the quality here is mediocre at best. However, I promise you that if you try this recipe out you will not be disappointed.
I grew up in a big, Mormon family (oldest of 10 kids remember?). And, if you know much about big Mormon families, casseroles are a staple in our diet. We grew up eating casseroles 3-4x a week. It is an easy way to prepare a lot of food for a lot of people. When I started eating healthier, I realized that most of our family casserole recipes weren’t going to be a staple for me. Most casseroles use a lot of cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom, etc which are all really calorie heavy. I was planning on making taco meat this week as part of my meal prep and decided to play around with the ingredients and try to make a taco casserole. It turned out SO good. Seriously, so so good. I am pretty proud of this recipe and I hope you love it as much as I do.
Healthy Taco Casserole
Makes 8 Servings
2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
1/2 package taco seasoning (I like Trader Joe’s brand)
5-6 green onions, chopped
3 roma tomatoes, diced
9 large black olives, sliced
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Juice of 3 limes
1 14oz can black beans, drained
3/4 c. salsa
(optional) 1/3 c. low fat cheddar cheese
(optional) 1 avocado, sliced – for garnish
1) In a large skillet, add taco seasoning to ground turkey and cook thoroughly. Appx 8-10 minutes over medium heat.
2) While meat is browning, chop, dice and slice your onions, tomato, and black olives and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3) In a small bowl, mix plain Greek yogurt and lime juice.
4) Once meat is cooked (no pink left), add the black beans and salsa into the skillet and mix well. Simmer for one minute.
5) Pour meat/bean/salsa combo into a glass 9×13 casserole pan. Layer the Greek yogurt, tomatoes, onions, olives. Optional: sprinkle cheese on top.
6) Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until cheese is nice and bubbly. Garnish with avocado (optional) and serve hot.
Appx Nutritional Information (will vary by brands used):
Serving Size: 1/8th casserole
Carbs: 15g (Fiber: 4.2g)
*Note* This doesn’t include the low fat cheese or avocado.