I am so excited to share with you another recipe from my new crockpot cook book, Cook Smarter, Not Harder. This chicken tortilla soup packs a punch of flavor that leaves everyone coming back for more! It has a serving size for 16, so it’s great to make in advance for a freezer meal. You will have tons of leftovers that make those weekday dinners easier, or enough to feed a party!
What you’ll need:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, not frozen (2.5lbs)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (not drained), 14.5 ounce
- 1 can black beans (drained), 14.5 ounce
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tbps minced garlic (fresh tastes best)
- 1 can corn, 14.5 ounce
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (vary to taste-this will be a little bit spicy-about medium heat. If you like mild food start with 1/2 jalapeno.) You can also use canned jalapenos if you don’t have fresh on hand.
- 2 limes, juiced OR 2 Tbsp lime juice (fresh will taste better)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (dried will work if that’s all you have on hand)
- 3 14.5 ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth (Note: this will make a relatively thick soup-if you want your soup to go a little further you can add an extra can of broth and make it slightly thinner but a larger batch)
- Salt/pepper to taste ( I use about 1 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp sea salt)
- Sriracha sauce to taste (optional)
- Place all ingredients, except for fresh cilantro, in crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours. This is a great recipe to make as a freezer meal in advance.
- You can cook this on your stovetop if you want a faster way to make this recipe.
- Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil
- Boil for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through
- If desired, you can shred the chicken when done with two forks.
That’s it! Let me know what you think, ENJOY!
P.S For my new crockpot cook book or for information on my most popular programs, click HERE!