A delicious low carb option to serving your meal with bread. I have never served these to anyone who didn’t enjoy them, even my non-veggie eating brother scarfs them up! Sometimes you just have to disguise vegetables to get picky eaters to realize they enjoy them wink emoticon
Ingredients (makes 15 breadsticks):
1 medium head cauliflower (650-800g)
1 whole egg
1 egg white (46g from carton)
6T parmesan or mozzarella cheese (42g)
1 clove minced garlic (or 1/3 tsp garlic powder)
2 tsp Italian seasoning
Sea salt & black pepper to taste
-Marinara Sauce for Dipping
-Additional Cheese for topping (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut head of cauliflower into florets of manageable size. Place florets in a food processor and pulse until cauliflower becomes fine like “rice” (or can do by hand using a cheese grater). Microwave riced cauliflower 6-8 minutes, until softened.
3. While the cauliflower is cooking, if using fresh garlic, sauté until fragrant. Once cauliflower has softened, add the seasonings and cheese. Whisk the whole egg and white together, then, quickly stir into the cauliflower mixture so the heat doesn’t cook the egg.
4. Line a small loaf pan with parchment paper so the paper hangs over the sides. Pour mixture into the pan, and push the mixture down so it is nice and compact. Bake 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
5. When golden, lift the loaf out of the pan by the parchment paper and flip it upside down on a cookie sheet lines with parchment. Bake another 10-15 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and slice the loaf in 15 “breadsticks”. Broil another 2-3 minutes until crisp. Serve with warmed tomato sauce. Sprinkle with additional cheese or olive oil before serving, if desired.
Approximate Nutritional Information per Breadstick:
Carbs: 2g (1g fiber)