Do you have an idea, or a passion for something you love? Do you feel like your gifts and talents are being wasted and undervalued? Do you know there are people who would benefit from your unique skills and talents? I’ve been there, and my online business is the vehicle that helped me relay my passions and gifts to the world.
Maybe in the past you’ve experienced failure & criticism that have squashed your spirit, maybe you have no clue where to even get started, or maybe you don’t have a massive budget to play with (or a budget at all!)…
…but you want a clear roadmap for how to overcome any of those fears, get paying customers, and successfully run the business of your dreams from home.
I’m telling you, this is what I had when I started my online business!
I knew I was meant for more. I knew I wanted to help others. And I knew I wanted to stay home with my babies.
This led me to creating a wildly successful online business!
What Is An Online Business?
What is an online business anyway?
An online business is just like any other business, but it doesn’t have a brick and mortar location. It’s got products, customers, a boss (you!), and maybe even employees. Some sell physical products, and some sell digital products (we will get to that in a second!).
But honestly, an online business is conducted completely online. This is why I love them so much! More time at home meant more time with my kids, and a schedule that was mine to create.
Here are some perks to owning an online business:
- Freedom. An online business means you create the hours, you work from wherever you want, and you sell whatever you want. An online business provides freedom.
- Access. Running a business online means you are providing global access at all times! You aren’t tied down by location, open hours, or days of the week! An online business provides access to more people.
- Cost. Not having a physical location means saving on cost, which is a big thing for many of us! No space rentals, no utility bills, no amenity costs!
Your business location is a web page on the internet, and once it’s up you have more freedom and flexibility in your life. People from all over the world can access it. And the cost is much lower than a physical location.
I built my own online business from nothing, and I’m not “techy” at all! I just had an idea, a vision, and the drive.
I just wish I’d known the exact steps to get there… but I made it happen!
How I Built My Online Business
I tried so many things before I started my online business.
I had just had two babies, lived in a new state with my then-husband, and needed to make money. We were $170,000 in student loan debt. I mowed lawns, sold Scentsy, and babysat.
I started an online business with some friends, but it failed. I got divorced. My back was against a wall.
I had a few months of rent left in my bank account, and I had to make something work. I was dabbling in the online world already with my own blog and with some fitness stuff after I had my kids.
But once I peed my pants on camera, everything changed.
Yeah, you read that right. (Embarrassing, I know!)
But I had two 10 pound babies. The business I had with friends involved filming workout videos. While doing a workout, I was jumping and completely peed my pants. Not a little. Completely! I laughed it off at the time, but I was so embarrassed!
We posted it, and so many women reached out to me! A doctor friend of mine saw the video and talked to me about pelvic floor strengthening. Together we decided to write an eBook to help other women who were dealing with this issue. And this is how my online business was born!
It took a completely vulnerable moment that allowed other women to feel seen and validated. It took an idea that would genuinely help people. It took hard work and determination.
And my dream came true!
How To Build Your Own
Okay so you don’t really have to pee your pants in order to create an online business!
But here’s what I think you DO need:
- A product. Something to sell. Something you’re passionate about. Something that people go to you for. Something you’re good at. Are you great with kids? Are you crafty? Are you great at planning parties? Do you love fitness? Are you all about self-esteem and positivity? Your product should be tied to something you love!
- An audience. People to buy this product. You don’t have to have a big social media following. You don’t have to be techy (I’m not!). You don’t have to be something you’re not. But building a connection to an audience and understanding how to find your people who will connect to your product is key!
- A system. A website. A way to connect to buyers. A system for how to get your product to your customers. A plan and production in place for how your product will get in the hands of your audience. It sounds confusing, but TRUST ME if it was, I would have failed at it long ago!
Building a successful online business has a lot to do with the nitty gritty, the systems, the product, etc. But I truly think that it has the MOST to do with your mindset.
You have to allow yourself to believe that you deserve to create the life you dream of. That you truly have something unique to offer the world. That your one of a kind voice deserves to be out there in order to help others. That even if you’ve failed in the past (Lord knows I have!), you have it in you to push for your goals.
The product, the audience, the system, those are things we can teach and learn and get dialed in. The mindset piece is where the real work comes in!
And you can do it!
Three Common Misconceptions
I can’t tell you how many people come to me and say, “I wish I could create a business like you, Natalie. I could never do it.” Oh my gosh, if I can do it, anyone can!
But people tend to see the roadblocks before the open road.
Here are the three common misconceptions I hear about building your own online business:
- You need to be techy. I have been in the online world for 10 years, and I still have issues with technology! You don’t have to be a computer whiz. I was a history major in school! It’s all about learning the systems, and learning the tricks from others who have done it before.
- You need to have a big following. You don’t. I have a secret system (which I teach in my free webclass) for getting your product into the hands of a bigger audience. But you don’t have to start out as some big influencer! I for sure didn’t!
- You need a product first. I have people who join my Peak Business Academy who come with two things. 1) The passion and pull to do something more, 2) The grit and determination to learn and put in the work. That’s it! We help you find what your product can be. But what’s more important is your passion, and your determination.
There are probably 100 more misconceptions about starting an online business, but those are the biggest ones I hear all the time!
I am not techy. I didn’t start out with a big following. And I had no idea what I wanted to sell.
All I knew was that I was meant for more.
My Top Tips
The online world is absolutely amazing. It has its downsides, but what I love about it is the possibilities. The products you can create, the people you can connect to, and the things you can learn are astounding.
Having an online business has been an absolute dream come true for me. I’m not the best at many things. I’m not the smartest, or prettiest, or funniest, or the strongest in any room. But I have one superpower: connecting to people.
This ability to connect with others through my online business has allowed me to help so many people, and for that I’m forever grateful.
My tips for those looking to create their own online business are:
- Learn about Digital Products. Digital products are things like eBooks and courses. They are great because they are great on the budget and once created, can be sold virtually forever as-is!
- Pick a Mentor. I wish so bad I would’ve had a mentor helping me with a system in the beginning to learn how to do this. It would have saved me a lot of time and money learning the ropes!
- Work on Your Mindset. In my experience, things like impostor syndrome and perfectionism can be just as hard to navigate as the nitty gritty details in business. Don’t forget to work on your mindset in the process!
I could probably write a thousand more tips for starting your own online business based on my own trials and failures. But these really are three of the biggest game changers for me!
Just remember, there’s no reason you can’t reach your dreams. If you’re like me, and you can’t shake the feeling that you’re meant for more, your own business can be just the path you’ve always dreamed of!
Ready to Build Your Own Successful Online Business?
Right now you may be feeling paralyzed just by the thought of starting…
What is the first step?? What are the exact steps you need to take?
I get that!
Maybe you’ve started, you’ve taken the steps, you have the idea! You just want some guidance.
My FREE live webclass can be just the thing you need right now!
In my webclass, I teach 3 steps to creating an audience of raving fans that results in a wildly successful online business. …even if you feel like you aren’t an expert, don’t want to run expensive ads, or build confusing funnels.
I will teach you these THREE SECRETS:
- How to quickly get an audience of engaged customers who love and trust you… EVEN IF you feel you aren’t an expert (yet) and have no marketing experience.
- The simple online products you can create that allows you to grow a profitable business WITHOUT sacrificing your time for money.
- My little-known secret system for selling products online (without Facebook ads) when you have ZERO social media following.
YES, I’ll say it again, this webclass is absolutely FREE!
This is a live class hosted by me! I will show you how I did this, and how you can do it too!
I believe in you, and I want to share with you everything I wish I’d known so that you can make a real impact in your life.
All the best,
Natalie Hodson ????
Click HERE to reserve your spot today!
P.S. I have FREE GIFTS at the end if you show up LIVE!