Here is my base protein bar recipe (adapted from Jamie Eason's Cinnamon Swirl Recipe). Once you have this part down all you need to do is add your own extracts to create your own flavor of bars! I usually do 2-3tsp extract per batch.
One very important tip:
The homemade protein bars have no preservatives in them. So, if you make them you MUST keep them in the fridge or the freezer or they will spoil after one day left on the counter. I learned this the hard way!
I usually let them cool then put 4 squares in a ziploc sandwich bag and stick them in the fridge or freezer. They will be good 4-5 days in the fridge otherwise stick them in the freezer.
- 1.5 cups oat flour (I grind my own oat flour in my food processor or blender from old fashioned oats, but if you are in a rush you can just use old fashioned oats instead of oat flour, the bars will just be a little chewier)
- 3 scoops vanilla whey protein (I like MRM brand Rich Vanilla flavor)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Stevia in the Raw or 1/2 cup brown sugar xylitol/regular xylitol (I like Ideal brand)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I like Almond Breeze - the 40 calorie per serving one)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 3.5oz container of fruit flavored baby food (I used blueberry apple Gerber brand) - whatever flavor extract you use will determine what you want to use here
- ¼ cup Fage brand 0% Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tsp of extract of your choice (you could do 1/2 and 1/2, i.e. 1 tsp almond extract, 1.5 tsp orange extract)
Any other flavors/nuts of your choice (nuts, peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, instant coffee, etc)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 X 8 inch Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl combine: (whisk together)
oat flour + vanilla whey protein
Stevia in the Raw or brown sugar xylitol/regular xylitol (I like Ideal brand)
In a medium bowl combine: (whisk together & add to lrg bowl)
unsweetened almond milk (Almond Breeze)
fruit flavored baby food or unsweetened applesauce if you don't have baby food handy
Plain Greek yogurt
-Any other flavors or nuts you are adding to recipe.
Mix dry and wet ingredients well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 min or until knife comes out clean when placed in center. (Mine was closer to the 30 minutes but this will vary depending on your oven). Let cool for 10 min. Bars will be dense.
Makes 16 squares 1 square = 55 calories, 1g fat, 6.4g carb, 5.5g protein, 1g sugar (this will vary if you put nuts, peanut butter, or unsweetened cocoa powder in your bars). 4 squares = 1 serving if eating as a small meal. 2 bars = serving size if using as the starchy carb in your meal.